Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Review: Captain America: The First Avenger


By Payton Wales

Let me start this off by saying I'm not familiar with the continuum of good ol' Cap. Sure, I've read some of the different comic series he has been involved in, but never to the extent that I could be considered an aficionado. I say this so if I miss something or agree with something even though it isn't historically accurate, you nerds ... er ... people don't attack me. After all, I am one of you. A nerd, that is.

The First Avenger takes us through the origin story of the pint-sized Steve Rogers and his transformation into our hero, Captain America. Set in World War II, The First Avenger takes us on a nostalgic ride through the time period while showing there were evils far worse than Hitler in the heart of Germany during the war and, of course, our hero is here to vanquish them all.

First things first. I'll be honest, Captain America isn't going to be the action-packed thrill ride Ironman was. That's not to say it doesn't have its fair share of action, but this movie chooses to focus more on the story and the era it takes place in, something that gives this movie charm, especially compared to the CGI/whizzbang-heavy Thor and Green Lantern. Captain America does have it's share of CGI, but it manages to almost seamlessly blend it into the the atmosphere of the movie.

The cast also plays a massive role in bringing this movie to life. Everyone has hit their marks in this piece. I did struggle with Chris Evans as Captain America just a little bit, but it had less to do with his acting and more to do with what I was bringing into the film from his previous movies. After I got past my own preconceived notions, his performance became more real to me.

Haylee Atwell does a great job as Peggy Carter, the strong-willed soldier and love interest of Rogers. The best thing she does is not overplay, or underplay for that matter, her role. This seems to always be a problem in the superhero movies and it's affected even the best actresses. For whatever reason when we try to bring a woman lead from a comic book to the screen, it just doesn't translate well. Maybe it's the strong yet frail nature of those characters. Maybe its the fact that a woman in real life cannot live up to the ... ahem ... amplified features of the comic. Regardless, Atwell nails the complexities of the character.

Tommy Lee Jones is perfect as Colonel Chester Phillips. His deadpan delivery gives the movie the edge and comedic relief it needs. Another great performance is given by Hugo Weaving and the Red Skull, leader of Hydra, archenemy of the Captain and the world for that matter. It's nice to finally see Weaving's face again in a movie ... er ... sorta. The last one I can remember seeing his actual face in is probably the Matrix Revolutions.

This movie is one of Marvel's gems upon many misses. It delivers enough action to keep you entertained while delivering an origin story that can still hold the public's interest. Although, at this point, I think we can safely eliminate the origin story as the starter movie, especially rebooting from the origin. Do you hear me, The Amazing Spiderman? The First Avenger delivers the goods while helping to establish the blueprint for successful comic book movies in the future.

As good as Catain America was, it was not without its flaws. The movie teetered on being too long and even had a song and dance routine that prompted me to turn to my friend and say, "OK I get it. Can we stop now?" The plot of the movie itself was good, not overly ambitious, and from everything I can tell, stuck to the mythos of the comics. But as the movie approaches finality, some small plot holes, or "illogical WTFs" as I like to call them, do appear. I don't want to give away too much, but I'd really like to know what was actually wrong with that plane. Seems like they skipped an explanation as to why it had to be landed right there. At least tell me there is something wrong with the plane's navigation.

All in all, The First Avenger was an enjoyable ride, giving us a sense of nostalgia while providing some insight into why a character like Captain America was important to the American public during World War II and even beyond.

Captain America: The First Avenger should give you  exactly what you are looking for in a summer movie: a lot good, some bad and worth your $10.

Rating: 3.5/5 Dribbles

2 comments:

TheProBasketballTalk said...

Movie reviews now? give me some basketball spin!

Payton Wales said...

Well what do ballers do when they arnt playing Ball... the play video games and watch movies.... just keeping the people informed Homie.